[Balloons] Getting started

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:38:34 CST 2011

Don --

I agree with you that APRS needs to be on the first flight.  APRS solves
a couple of issues we must comply with.  First FAA requires position
reporting a least every 2 hours and we must know the longitude, latitude
and altitude or whenever the FAA requests the information. We will need
a flight control with contact information fro FAA.  Second is can be one
of the equipment recovery location sources.  However once on the ground
the signal can be lost.

A second factor to think about is all items on the Balloon must total
about 2.5 lbs. That is radios, GPS, batteries, radar reflector, box,
parachute.  This is of a 5-6 foot balloon.  The 3 foot balloons list
less that one lb.

Dave, KV0S